|Approved Plated Interior Copper Cup|
Bahama Bob's Rumstyles
Friday, August 11, 2017
Copper Cocktail Mugs Can be Poisonous According to Iowa Health Officials and the FDA
A statement from the Iowa Alcoholic Beverage Division reads: “The pH of a traditional Moscow Mule is well below 6.0. This means that copper mugs that have a copper interior may not be used with this beverage.” “However, copper mugs lined on the interior with another metal, such as nickel or stainless steel” are allowable for use and are widely available.
“High concentrations of copper are poisonous and have caused foodborne illness. When copper and copper alloy surfaces contact acidic foods, copper may be leached into the food.”