Bahama Bob's Rumstyles

Friday, August 11, 2017

Copper Cocktail Mugs Can be Poisonous According to Iowa Health Officials and the FDA

Banned Pure Copper Cup
     The Magic of the Copper mugs commonly used in trendy cocktails like Moscow Mules or Dark and Stormy’s has the potential of poisoning drinkers, according to the Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division.   The body have examined the copper and food reactions and concluded that serving any food or liquid with a pH balance below 6, which include vinegar, wine and fruit juice.  These and other ingredients can cause copper poisoning with the result in the body causing diarrhea, vomiting, jaundice and low blood pressure.  According to the Food and Drug Administration's Moral Food Code, copper is prohibited from coming into direct contact with foods that have a pH below 6.0.  The warning comes as the Mule has risen in popularity with social media users, who enjoy posting pictures of the attractive mugs.

Approved Plated Interior Copper Cup
     A statement from the Iowa Alcoholic Beverage Division reads: “The pH of a traditional Moscow Mule is well below 6.0. This means that copper mugs that have a copper interior may not be used with this beverage.”   “However, copper mugs lined on the interior with another metal, such as nickel or stainless steel” are allowable for use and are widely available.

     “High concentrations of copper are poisonous and have caused foodborne illness. When copper and copper alloy surfaces contact acidic foods, copper may be leached into the food.”