Thursday, July 11, 2019
Rum has had its ups and downs in the past year. Some of the top ten selling rums have declined and some have grown very impressively. Rum is going through a strong premiumization, bringing new sales to the category, but the cocktail it is making new ground as well.
1. Tanduay: It has retained its position on top of the pile with a 3.1% growth, passing the 20,000,000 case sales mark.
2. Bacardi: Has had a 2% growth with a 17,100,000 case sales
3. Captain Morgan: 11,700,000 case sales up 0.2%
4. McDowell’s No.1 Rum: 11,700,000 cases with a drop of 8.7%
5. Havana Club: 4, 600,000 cases with a 3.8% gain
6. Barceló: 2,200,000 cases with a 0% net again
7. Božkov: 1,700,000 cases an impressive 49.3% growth
8. Ron Medellin: 1,600,000 cases and a 1.1% loss for the year
9. Contessa Rum: 1,600,000 cases sold and a 11.5% loss for the year
10. Appleton Estate: 1,100,000 cases sold and a loss of 9.8% loss for the year
All in all, worldwide, rum has done fairly well n the past year. The top rums have had a growth and a new entry to the top ten. The premiumization of the category has dropped the total sales a bit, but the perceived value is helping rum’s image, which will be felt as the years move ahead.